MRWMD Tours: A favorite for teachers and students
Tours can be scheduled for student groups- 3rd grade to university level, Monday through Friday throughout the year. The District provides the educational tours at no cost, and can provide small bus grants to offset the cost of transportation for student groups attending school within the District’s jurisdictions.
Tours last 1.5 to 2.5 hours (depending upon the needs of the students) and include:
- Introductory Presentation in MRWMD’s “Green Administration Building”
- Tour of MRWMD’s 475 acre site, including a visit to the landfill and Resource Recovery Facilities, including the Materials Recovery Facility and Last Chance Mercantile
- Hands on learning activities
- Optional: Zero Waste Picnic (BYO) in the Small Planet Demonstration Garden.
The Small Planet Garden provides examples of “green gardening” including: use of recycled products, repurposed & salvaged items used in buildings, play structures, planting and garden features. Composting, water and energy conserving elements are also demonstrated.
School Presentations (Student & Staff)
MRWMD (based upon availability) can provide “3R” school presentations and hands on workshops designed for student groups k- 5th grades. (Presentations can be adapted for 6th -12th grades.) Presentations are designed for classroom groups, but can also be adapted for larger groups via grade level or assembly style presentations.
- Composting & Vermiculture
- “3 Rs Plus” – This basic presentation with interactive activities helps reinforce the concepts and practices of Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and introduces additional “Rs”, such as Rethink and Refuse, supporting waste reduction and resource conservation.
- Recycling- A good prelude or review of school recycling, as it covers both the wider topic of recycling and the specifics of school recycling programs.
- Paper Recycling Workshop – In this hands on paper making workshop, students learn about waste reduction, resource conservation, and a recycling process.
- School Staff Presentations- Short 10-20 minute presentations can be provided to teaching and site staff on the topic of waste reduction and recycling strategies and programs.
Contact MRWMD’s Public Education Coordinator for more details and/or to schedule a tour or presentation at firstname.lastname@example.org or 831-384-5313.
Educational And School Waste Reduction Resources
CalRecycle’s services for educators, districts and school facilities
CREEC Network is a “one stop shop” for environmental education resources in California
Green School Initiatives
Contact Haulers For Your School’s Waste & Recycling Collection Services
Waste Management Inc. – www.wm.com/ / 831-384-5000
Monterey City Disposal – www.montereydisposal.com / (831) 372-7977
Republic Services Salinas – www.republicservicessalinas.com / (831) 775-3840